The nuclear family is a family that includes the Husband, Wife and their unmarried children. It is a small and universal family.
A joint family is an undivided family that includes children, parents, grandparents, uncle, aunt, cousins etc. It is a large family.
To study the concept of family in detail, one can go through the link- FAMILY
Definition of Nuclear family
According to Merriam- Webster dictionary– A nuclear family is defined as a family group that consists only of parents and children.
According to the Cambridge dictionary– A nuclear family is a family consisting of two parents and their children, but not including aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.
Definition of Joint family
According to Merriam- Webster dictionary– A joint family is defined as a consanguineal family unit that includes two or more generations of kindred related through either the paternal or maternal line who maintain a common residence and are subject to common social, economic, and religious regulations.
According to the Cambridge dictionary– A joint family is a family in which parents and their male children with their families live together and are considered as a single unit.
Advantages of Nuclear family
- There is less stress for the earning person in the family. They have low expenses.
- They need a small space to live.
- They require fewer resources for their survival.
- There is the prevention of intra-family disputes.
- They have more Privacy.
- There are fewer conflicts. More people leads to more arguments.
- Children can maintain their studies well.
- They have fewer responsibilities.
- Here it is easy to make decisions as there is less number of member. It is easy to convince members.
Disadvantages of Nuclear family
- They may become isolated.
- They don’t get support from their family members during a crisis.
- They have to bear the workload. It impacts their working ability. They have to take care of many things at once.
- They have lack guidance in difficult situations.
- They have less experience.
- Children may get attracted to bad habits.
- There is the single head who has to manage most of the things alone.
Advantages of Joint family
- Children get love and the most important is guidance from their grandparents.
- Children never feel alone here.
- Help is always there as all family members live together. There is always a person in the home to protect the house.
- Elderly members get support from the young ones.
- Kids get raised with the help of elderly members.
- Prevents human trafficking and child kidnapping.
- Shared finances.
- Members get support from other members during a crisis.
- Less chance of depression among the family members.
- They have an active social life.
- They celebrate festivals in their unique way. Together they perform to make their functions memorable as everyone spends time together.
- They have more management skills. They learn from each other.
- They have more emotions towards each other. They have less selfishness.
- They are good at handling situations.
- They respect others.
- Elders have more experience in their life which is much needed for the young ones to survive in this world.
- They have a longer relationship.
- They are more disciplined.
- They do not have to work hard as their workload is divided among family members.
Disadvantages of Joint family
- They may have Financial issues. Not every member earns the same.
- There is a chance of jealousy and conflicts.
- There is noise pollution.
- All have a different mindset which creates difficulty in making decisions.
- There is less privacy.
Both types of families have their characteristics. It depends on the family members to choose a nuclear family or a joint family. The formation of the nuclear family depends on the situation and personal preferences.
Some people have to live in a nuclear family due to circumstances, they are not able to live in a joint family even if they want. Despite living in a nuclear family, they remain attached to the joint family and are always in their contact.
Here I have given only a general perception, it may vary according to one’s view because the concept of family is of different types in different cultures.
- Nuclear Family vs Joint Family
- Genetic Engineering and Anthropology
- Anthropometrics and Ergonomics
- Ethnomedicine- Traditional medicine system
- Cultural Evolution – Theory of Cultural Change